A Little History
Today, August 10, marks a proud day in Girl Scout history – National S’mores Day! Did you know this camp classic was basically invented by Girl Scouts? In 1927, the first s’mores recipe was printed in the Girl Scout handbook, “Tramping and Trailing with the Girl Scouts.” Legend says the name “s’mores” came about because everyone who tasted the gooey campfire concoction asked for “some more.”
But wait, there’s s’more! Remember last year’s popular Girl Scout S’mores™ cookies? You guessed it, they’re back. The Girl Scout’s fun twist on the timeless treat will return for the 2018 Cookie Season – woohoo! During their debut last season, the Girl Scout S’mores™ cookie became the most popular flavor to launch in the 100 years Girl Scouts have been selling cookies.
After reading all of this sweet information, I’m sure you’re craving the campfire classic (I know I am), so here are a dozen creative s’mores recipes to try from the comfort of your own kitchen:
- Grilled S’more Banana Pockets: A cross between a s’more and a banana split, this gooey sweetness conveniently contains all the mess in the peel of the banana
- S’mores Popcorn: Sweeten up your movie theater snack with some chocolate chips, graham crackers, and mini marshmallows
- Chocolate Chip Cookie S’mores: Mash up two beloved desserts to create this doubly sweet treat
- S’mores Stuffed Cookies: Or turn your s’mores ingredients into a cookie
- Peanut Butter S’mores Turnovers: Wrap anything in puff pastry dough and it’s an instant win
- S’mores Pancakes: Start your day off right with this s’mores inspired breakfast staple
- Ritz Cracker S’mores: Out of graham crackers? Ritz (or pretzels) add a nice salty twist
- Mini Teddy Graham S’mores: These tiny Teddy Graham s’mores are the perfect bite-sized treat (and they’re adorable, too!)
- S’more Crescent Roll Croissants: No campfire needed, and a quick 15 minutes back in the oven will get these treats toasty in no time
- S’mores Milkshake: Why spend time chewing when you can drink your s’more through a straw
- Cast Iron Skillet S’mores Dip: One of the many reasons a cast iron skillet is a must in every household
- S’mores Granola: A great on-the-go version to take with you when you hit the trails
We can’t wait for the return of all our delicious cookies, which power unique and amazing experiences for girls with each and every purchase. In the meantime, we’ll just drool over photos of your s’mores creations. Remember to have fun — it’s not about perfection, it’s about enjoying the process and sharing the experience with the people we love!
Ashley Redfield—Ashley is the Digital Marketing and Social Media Coordinator for Girl Scouts of Northern California, where she’s constantly planning, creating, and managing awesome content for social media. After graduating from Mills College (a women’s college in Oakland), Ashley joined the Girl Scout movement where she loves being part of a team that helps girls unlock their potential and continuing that legacy of women’s leadership. She has spent much of her life exploring Northern California, especially the Bay Area, so when not behind a blue-lit screen, you’ll probably find her hiking through a local park or at a café planning her next road trip.