Last Updated on
Girl Scouts of Northern California’s Golden Gate Bridging is a once in a lifetime experience and a super fun way to celebrate girls bridging from Juniors to Cadettes. You only get to bridge from Juniors to Cadettes once, so why not do it in style as you cross one of the most famous bridges in the world!
We have assembled a list of 30 reasons why this event is unique and worth it! We encourage you to come and experience Golden Gate Bridging for yourself.
- Girls will bridge to the next level of Girl Scouts on the beautiful and iconic Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco!
- You will get a chance to meet Girl Scouts from all over the country. Golden Gate Bridging has even gone international with participants coming from as far away as Great Britain and Scotland.
- You will be able to get your exercise on with a 4½–5 mile walk from the start of the bridge all the way down to the party on Crissy Field.
- As you cross the bridge, you may see humpback whales swimming in the Pacific Ocean.
- Once you are down on Crissy Field, you will be met with vendor booths highlighting all that older girl programming has to offer.
- You can document your dreams in the Dream Jar booth or the Reflections booth.
- Along with enjoying a variety of vendor booths, you can join the dance party on Crissy Field complete with a DJ and karaoke.
- If you need a break from the dance party, you can visit our on-site Girl Scout store and stock up on some exclusive Golden Gate Bridging swag. Pre-ordering recommended.
- After you bridge, you can enjoy great food from Boudin, another San Francisco icon. (Make sure to pre-order your lunch when you register for Golden Gate Bridging.)
- You can build your outdoor skills while actually outside.
- You can discover the magic behind the Mickey by visiting the Walt Disney Family Museum.
- You will have a chance to do archery or kite flying while on Crissy Field.
- You can trade SWAPS with park rangers, it is kind of a thing at Golden Gate Bridging.
- Both girls and adults can volunteer for Golden Gate Bridging, even if you live out of the area!
- You can become a star and get your photo on Girl Scouts of Northern California social media.
(And get a patch for it!)
- Come dressed for fun! Show off your troop’s awesomeness in themed costumes.
- You can cross San Francisco off your travel bucket list. San Francisco is a very unique place to visit complete with beaches, some of the best restaurants in the world, scenic sites (both man made and nature made) and beautiful artwork.
- During your weekend visit, you can drive down San Francisco’s famed Lombard Street.
- You could take a trip to the infamous former prison and Civil War Fort Alcatraz. Just make sure to come back!
- You can explore the history of the most urban National Park, Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
- You can dip your toes in the Pacific Ocean. Careful, it is cold!
- Enter the land of Pixar and Lucas Film where you can explore Muir Woods, which looks just like Endor, the planet of the Ewoks from Star Wars!
- You can explore Chinatown, the largest Chinatown outside Asia. Try some dim sum at one of the authentic area restaurants, see beautiful Chinese architecture, stop by the Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Factory or stop by Waverly Place to see what is called the “Street of Painted Balconies.”
- You can nosh on some of the best chocolate there is at Ghirardelli Square.
- After a long day walking across the Golden Gate Bridge, you can relax at the Japanese Tea Garden.
- You can explore the Exploratorium. Learn about the science of baseball or step inside a tornado. There are tons of interactive exhibits to investigate.
- You can experience Karl the Fog!
- You can hitch a ride a historic Cable Car as you ride through the huge hills of San Francisco!
- Think of the stories you will go back to school with!
- Best of all, you can do this with 7,000 of your closest friends. That’s a lot of girl power in one place!
We cannot wait to celebrate your achievements in Girl Scouting with you. We hope you are excited to join us for Golden Gate Bridging! One of the best comments ever heard at any Golden Gate Bridging was, “I didn’t know there were this many girls like me!” Don’t miss out on this once in a lifetime experience where we celebrate true girl power!
What to do next:
- Check the GSNorCal website for the registration link and more information on how to register as a participant and/or volunteer.
- Think about what you want your SWAPS to be. Do some research on Pinterest!
- Read some more Trailhead posts to help prepare you for GGB. Articles include information on SWAPS, a video on what to pack, and more.
Elizabeth Schrey—A native Bay Area resident, Elizabeth Schrey is the Special Events Manager with the Girl Scouts of Northern California where she tackles logistics for large-scale events like Golden Gate Bridging as well as small–scale unique events like Exec Connect. Elizabeth is a graduate of Southern Oregon University (B.S. Theatre Arts; ’04) in Ashland, OR and volunteers her time for several film festivals as a film reviewer, loves baking and is an amateur photographer. As a Girl Scout who had many doors unlocked through her involvement in scouting, Elizabeth’s favorite thing about Girl Scouts is the diversity in programming that allow girls limitless amounts of fun, learning, engagement and confidence building. There really is something in it for everyone.